Monday, February 26, 2007

Sausage!

I'm sure some of you have been having trouble sleeping because you're wondering if I'm getting enough nutritious food to eat, but now you can rest easy knowing that I'm eating plenty of sausage.

Hungarians eat sausage for breakfast and dinner every day, and sometimes for lunch. Breakfast for my family is pretty much the same as dinner - bread with cheese, sausage (pepperoni-like or salami,) ham, and/or pate, plus some paprikas (yellow peppers - so mild they're almost flavorless) and possibly tomatoes. At dinner we might add orange juice and pickles and cherry preserves. There is plenty of fresh fruit in my house, but it is primarily eaten as snacks or for dinner. Sometimes we have muesli for breakfast or dinner, too. Lunch is the main meal. On Sunday we had roast beef with potatoes and soup, pickles, and cherry preserves for lunch. On Saturday we had "vishli" which was hot dogs stuffed with sausage and bacon and topped with 3 kinds of cheese and then sour cream and more peperoni and paprikas, which we ate with bread. If I don't go vegetarian in Spain, I'm going to be a sausage when I get home. But the food is all good.

I didn't do much this weekend. Yesterday I went with Zsolt, my host, up to a nice view spot on a nearby hill where I could see the city and the area our house is in. Later in the day Agi and I went to a museum which had an exhibition of 150 years of Hungarian art - 1800 to 1950, and also a permanent history exhibit. Then we had crepes and got a ride home from Zsolt, who was visiting his father and celebrating his name day.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Hot dogs stuffed with bacon and sausage with cheese and sour creme???? Why am I not Hungarian!!!!