Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Safe arrival and first day

I arrived safely in Budapest at around 9:30 Hungarian time, 4:00 AM Minnesota time.  The airport minibus driver (like a super shuttle) had no difficulty finding the home of my host family.  I had a tasty lunch, unpacked, and then had a nap.  After my nap we ate dinner (also tasty) and walked to a nearby shopping area so I could get cash from the ATM.  My hosts are Dr. Nagy, his wife Dr. Czimbalmos, and their son Gergö who is a law student in Vienna.  They have been exceptionally welcoming and nice to me.  They live on a lovely hill in "cold valley" a northern suburb of Buda.
 
This morning I rode into work with my host, Dr. Nagy, and then rode the tram and subway from his office to the office of Dr. Varga, my other mentor / supervisor for this visit.  Dr. Varga showed me around the hospital complex and then wanted to 'pick my brain' about hospital administration in America.  Unfortunately, I did not have much good info to share with him.
 
In the afternoon, I returned to Dr. Nagy's office and went on some house calls with him.  So far, all of the patients I have seen have been very friendly, despite the fact that pretty much all I can say in Hungarian is pleased to meet you/good day, thank you, hello and goodbye, and I don't speak very much Hungarian.  I had no difficulty buying tickets for the train or navigating around the city, so that is good.  Tomorrow I will buy my monthly transit pass, try and get some concert tickets for the opera or some folk dancing while Michelle is here, and either do some sightseeing or work with Dr. Nagy in the afternoon.

1 comment:

Liz said...

very cool... seems like you are doing a bunch!! i am jealous... yay!! marmalade is settling in...mostly sleeping in my room.... silas and her are not bothering each or getting along...much indifference abounds amongst cats... but she is fine!!
yay! oh and she peed on eric's jeans...much laughter ensued on my end hehe...