Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Sight Seeing

The Museum of applied arts, where we saw the treasures of the Esterhazy:
Michele horsing around in the catacombs:
View of parlament from castle hill:
View of castle hill from Pest with the chain bridge in the foreground:

So I wrote this on Monday but the e-mail posting function seems to be broken, so here it is now. I will add some pictures of me and Michele and the city etc when I get home if my family is not using the computer.

Michele and I have been so busy sight seeing that I haven't had any internet time. On Friday we went to the "House of Terror Museum" where the fascists and then the communists tortured and killed their political prisoners, then to a special Van Gough exhibit at the art museum, and walked around city park and Hero's square. On Saturday we spent the day on castle hill, at the Budapest History Museum, the Telephony Museum which has an awesome web site I will post a link to eventually, the Matyas Templom, and the Labyrinths underneath castle hill. Saturday night at 10 we went to the oldest bath house in Budapest - nearly 500 years old, which has lots of young people from 10 PM to 4 AM Fridays and Saturdays. Sunday we went to the "Treasures of Esterhazy" exhibit at the applied arts museum which is an exhibit of fancy stuff recovered from a large old estate in Hungary, then we went to the Lutheran church and museum and St. Steven's Basilica, where of course we saw St. Steven's preserved right hand. We called it a somewhat early night. Today was shopping day, the cave church, and the Gellart baths complete with a 3200 Forint (17 dollar) half hour massage. The massage was good but the warmest bath was 38 degrees Celsius so I will try a new bath house next. Tomorrow I go back to "work."

No comments: