Friday, March 30, 2007

Not a Myth

So that old story about Irish friendliness is not a myth as of my first several hours in Ireland. I rode the train from London to Holyhead Wales, and then a ferry to Dublin. On the bus into the city I was befriended by a nice little old lady who welcomed me to the country, apologised for the (slight) bad mood of the driver, offered me a job when she found out I would be here for a whole month, encouraged me to visit Cork, and told me about her grandchildren, one of whom is lovely and one is spoiled. After getting off the bus she could tell I wasn't sure which way to go to get to the hostel, so she flagged down a passerby and asked him. (She lives in England now and wasn't 100% sure where the street was.)

And that brings us to the hostel. . . I was lucky they had room to have me for a couple nights, since my plans to visit Wales on my way from London had to be abandoned. And it's a lot cheaper than anything else I might find in Dublin. And the check in guy was really nice. But. . . my roommates tell me there is no hot water in the showers, and they seem to be planning a late and noisy night (they are college students studying in England and traveling on their 5 week April break.) So I think I'll be happy to move on to Elish's (my Irish hostess) on Saturday. But I'm sure it will be an experience staying here, and probably mostly a fun one. I don't really have to shower until tomorrow morning, right? :) I think I'll set out to find some food that's not extremely expensive and hopefully includes some uncooked vegetables of some kind, and then I'll call it an early night as most of my decent sleep may happen before my roommates get home.

No comments: