Sunday, March 11, 2007

Buenos Tardes!

I wanted to post some pictures of the beautiful weather and scenery, but this computer doesn´t have a USB port in the front, and I doubt they would be pleased if I took it off its stand to get to the back. It is wonderful here. The weather is perfect - I was comfortable in khakis and a long sleeved shirt most of the day today, but I did brave the beach for an hour yesterday afternoon in one of my new bikinis. (There will be no pictures of that, and I think the sun was too low to really get started on my tan.)

My parents arrived on Thursday afternoon after a 90 min delay at the Madrid airport. They managed to be awake and pretty functional untill 11 Thursday night and we went to the Picasso Museum and rode the bus to a famous local fish restaurant on the beach, which was a tasty adventure. While I don´t usually agree with Morissey, I think Pablo Picasso may have indeed been an asshole. I didn´t enjoy many of the works in the museum, but he was born here in Malaga, and supposedly these are some of his best works, so I´m glad I went. He definitely would have failed anatomy, hehe.

Yesterday we visited the Jardin Botanica de la Concepcion - supposedly one of the best botanic gardens in spain. It was pretty, and I hope to post some photos. We woke up late, so after the Jardin we only had time for the beach and some tapas for dinner. In between the beach and tapas, my parents spent 2 hours finding the train station where they decided they didn´t actually want train tickets.

This morning we slept in a bit as well, and then we caught a bus to Antequera where we saw some dolmen built about 6500 years ago by stone age peoples, which were pretty cool. It´s really amazing that they managed to move such large rocks, and even more interesting that they were inspired too. After the dolmen we climed up to the alcazaba - the requisite local muslim fortress - but it was closed, sadly. So we had lunch at a cafe in front of the alcazaba walls and sat in the sun on the patio. The town was beautiful - hilly and all white washed with red tile roofs, so I´ll have to find a computer with a convienient USB port soon!

No comments: