Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Preparations

It's minus 6 degrees Fahrenheit here in Minneapolis. (That's minus 21 for our Celsius friends) This morning, it was even colder when I went to the bank. I finished firms night float at the University yesterday morning, 75% of which is admitting people with organ transplants or chronic pain syndromes, and it is probably impossible for me to express how happy I am to be going to Africa. I get away from the cold and the drug seekers, and the patients that I can only make not worse, but not better either. But, more importantly, I get to experience the practice of tropical medicine for the first time, and to assist in providing palliative care from a different cultural perspective. Am I ready? No. I hope to be packed on time tomorrow, though sadly I will probably not get my pre-trip cleaning done. But on a less superficial level, yes, I think I am.

No comments: