Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Carikk-a-reed Rope Bridge

After the Giant's Causeway, we headed on to the Carikk-a-reed rope bridge. The bridge goes from a cliff on the mainland to a small island where there used to be a salmon fishery. I think it is intentionally designed to be bouncy, but luckily it was a calm day so there wasn't much swaying added to the bouncyness. Here I am on the bridge:
Joan doesn't like edges, but she did make it across without much fuss. The water along the cliffs was very still and a wonderful color of green, which It think was impossible to capture on (digital) film. And here's another picture of the bridge:
After the bridge we drove past Dungarvin castle and went to one of Joan and Owen's favorite restaurants in Portrush. It was the best meal I've had in a long time. I decided to have the (12 oz) lamb steak on Owen's recommendation, even though just 2 weeks ago I was feeling guilty when I saw all the cute newborn lambs in pastures across the country. The lambs have gotten significantly larger and less cute in 2 weeks, so I enjoyed my dinner almost guilt free. In addition to the 12 oz of meat, we had fries, mashed potatoes, tobacco onions, creamed spinach, and Mediterranean vegetables. We didn't finish it all, needless to say. But we still had desert - Banafi - which is an Irish desert consisting of a biscuity crust, a layer of bananas and carmel sauce, and then several inches of fresh cream on top. It sounds odd, but it's pretty tasty. It was an hour and a half drive back to Belfast, so we also got two meringues and some strawberry Banafi-like desert to go. I was still too stuffed to eat mine when I got home, though. Me and Joan at dinner: (I know I look terrible, so focus on the food)

No comments: